Once upon a time there was a man and a woman who fell deeply in love. To commemorate their love, they married and spent the rest of their days building a small (quite small) empire. There was a house that started as a basement and ended in two levels, an enormous garden, an apricot tree that overshadowed a chicken coop, five children, and - of course- a camper.
This is were the "before" pictures would have been useful, but I'm terrible at remembering to take those. We poured a small cement pad and hauled the camper to our house. There was no use for the bed and no guarantees that the paint wasn't laced with lead. So we (my husband and I) gutted the interior and covered the walls with tub board and bead board. We put in a laminate floor and built and painted cabinets. This is what we ended up with.
My husband was adamant that we leave the exterior as it was, but I thought it rather drab so one day while he was at work. . .
Even if you hate the paint job, you have to admit it brightens up the winter landscape.
And look at it in full bloom. (That poor little girl has flowers for a face. Makes it hard for her to see, but she blends into her environment quite well.)
The washtubs I accessorized with the butterfly and dragonfly. They were purchased as wind-chimes from a dollar store. I took off the chime part and riveted what was left to the tubs. The teapot planter had its origins as a topless table frame from a second-hand store. I built a top out of backer board and tiled and grouted it with colored tile. The teapot came as is, but the cups I purchased separately and used a masonry bit to drill holes in the bottom. It should be noted, if one attempts to replicate this process, be sure to douse the bit and hole with water, frequently. It also helps to have a drill press. E5000 glue works well to secure the teacup to the saucer, but the saucer stuck in the mortar without incident.
After years of use, it fell apart. It's been repaired a couple of times, but continues to fall into disrepair.
During one of its down times I photocopied it onto 11x17 sheets of paper, which I later mod-podged onto the interior of the door. If I had more time, artistry, and a steadier hand, I might have painted it on, but this was an easier route for better results.